Halloween is a time for spooky fun, creative costumes, and of course, indulging in delicious treats. However, for individuals with gluten sensitivity or celiac disease, finding safe and scrumptious candy options can be a tricky task. Fear not, because certified gluten-free candies are here to save the day! In this blog post, we will explore the world of certified gluten-free candies and how they can make your Halloween celebrations worry-free and enjoyable.
Understanding Gluten Sensitivity and Celiac Disease
Before we dive into the sweet details, it's important to understand what gluten is and why it's a concern for some people. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. For those with gluten sensitivity or celiac disease, consuming gluten can lead to various health issues, ranging from mild discomfort to severe digestive problems. That's why it's crucial for individuals with these conditions to stick to a gluten-free diet, even during Halloween.
The Importance of Certification
Certified gluten-free candies undergo rigorous testing to ensure they meet the gluten-free standards set by regulatory bodies. This certification provides a guarantee that the product is safe for individuals with gluten sensitivity or celiac disease to consume. When shopping for Halloween candies, always look for trusted certifications from organizations like the Gluten-Free Certification Organization (GFCO) or the Celiac Support Association (CSA).
Dive into a Gluten-Free Candy Wonderland
Now, let's talk about the exciting part – the wide variety of certified gluten-free candies available for Halloween! From chewy gummies to rich chocolates, there's a plethora of options to satisfy every sweet tooth. Below is the safe Gluten-Free Candy list:
- Almond Joy – All Except Almond Joy Pieces Candy
- Hershey’s milk chocolate kisses
- Hershey’s milk chocolate bars (1.55oz only)
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups – All Except Seasonal Shaped Items
- Rolo Caramels in Milk Chocolate Candies – All Except Rolo® Minis
- York Peppermint Patties – All Except York Pieces Candy, Sugar Free Peppermint Patties, York Minis, and York Shapes (5 oz.)
- M&Ms (except pretzel, crispy, and potentially seasonal items)
- Milky WayCaramel Bars (not the original Milky Way Bar)
- Snickers Bars
- 3 Musketeers
- Dove Chocolate products (all flavors EXCEPT for milk chocolate cinnamon graham/cookies and cream, and some holiday varieties, such as milk chocolate truffles)
- Butterfinger Bars, fun-size
- Baby Ruth
- Sweet Tarts
- Laffy Taffy
- Pixy Stix
- 100 grand
- Mike and Ike
- Kerr’s Fiesta Pops
- Tootsie Rolls
- Junior Mints
- Tootsie Pops
- Jelly Belly Beans
- Charleston Chew
- Atomic Fireballs
- Red Hot’s
- Tic Tacs
Tips for a Safe Halloween
1. Read Labels: Always read the labels of candies to check for any potential gluten-containing ingredients. Manufacturers are required to list common allergens, including wheat, on their packaging.
2. Avoid Cross-Contamination: If you're handing out candy, consider keeping gluten-free options in a separate bowl to prevent cross-contamination with candies that contain gluten.
3. Educate Others: If your child has gluten sensitivity or celiac disease, educate teachers, friends, and family members about their dietary restrictions to ensure they have a safe Halloween experience.
This Halloween, everyone can join in the fun without worrying about gluten thanks to the wide variety of certified gluten-free candies available. By choosing these treats, you not only ensure a safe celebration for those with gluten sensitivity or celiac disease but also support companies that prioritize the well-being of their consumers.
So, go ahead and enjoy the festivities, knowing that a delectable and gluten-free candy experience awaits you and your loved ones. Happy Halloween!
*The above information came from the Celiac Disease Foundation Website. For more specific questions, please visit their website at Celiac.org*